Marlon asked: "So, what do the rest of you do to try to protect or control
your kids these days?"

I taught them respect for others.  I taught them to treat the janitor the
same as they'd treat the principal.  I taught them to befriend the
friendless.

I taught them honesty and integrity, and demonstrated by example.

Tell them regularly you are proud of them.  Trust them unless given reason
not to trust.  Listen.  Listen some more.  Ask good questions.  Show an
interest in what they are and what they do.

My situation may be different than some other's, but I did some other
things.

I taught them how to handle guns with safety and to shoot.  I taught them
early how to drive a vehicle, as soon as they could see over the steering
wheel, we took the Jeep out in the sticks and I taught them to drive.

Parenting is not easy.  Kids don't come with an owner's manual, and
unfortunately don't come with an on-off switch.

God speed in your parenting.  Be careful you don't come down too hard and
alienate them.  Some such rifts last for years.

Be aware that at 13, a kid thinks you are the most stupid person in the
world, but at 21 will have an epiphany that you were right all along.  Be
aware that whoever coined the term "terrible twos," never met a 4 year old,
OR a 13 year old.

Mike