Actually I've done this on ships where the deck department needed to
communicate with the engine room and personnel down in compartments where
winches for line handling were located. We're talking very short distances
(less than the length of the ship - around a 1000 ft) and short cable runs. But
it did let enough RF leak into the below deck areas to facilitate
communications.

Greg