Gentlemen,

        I think there's some misunderstanding concerning feed line length and
proper matching. If the source and load are both the same impedance as the feed
line then you have a perfect 1:1 match and the impedance seen at the source is
the same no matter what the feed line length is. If there is a mismatch (load
and/or feel line impedance does not match the source impedance then there will
be a given SWR on the feed line. If for example there is a 2:1 purely resistive
mismatch (SWR) between the load and feed line then you will see a 2:1 SWR on
the entire feed line, and a 2:1 mismatch presented to the source no matter what
the feed line length. However, the impedance seen as one moves down the feed
line will go from 2:1 purely resistive, to 2:1 purely inductive (the resistive
component will match the feed line resistive impedance) to a 2:1 mismatch being
purely resistive but this time the inverse of the first case (if the load
resistive impedance was twice the feed line then now it will present an
impedance of half the feed line impedance) continuing on to a 2:1 mismatch
being purely capacitive (the resistive component is again the same as the feed
line's resistive impedance.

        The only time a feed line impedance/length condition transforms a
mismatched load and source combo into a perfect match is when you have
situation where the line length and impedance are such that the impedance seen
looking into the feed line from the source's end happen to match the source's
impedance. There are some antenna/feed line combo designs which match a higher
antenna resistive impedance to a lower transceiver resistive impedance using a
feed line which has an intermediate resistive impedance and an exact length.
However this arrangement is very frequency specific/sensitive and the feed line
is still running less than perfect SWR with it's associated loss.

        If you're using 50 Ohm antennas and 50 Ohm feed line and 50 Ohm
transmitters then feed line length is unimportant. If you are using
antennas/feedline/transmitters of differing impedances you'll have to use the
Smith chart and see what impedance is presented to the transmitter at varying
feed line lengths. Using a feed line of a specific length may or may not be
able to provide an adequate match depending on the impedance of the feed line.
If you're using coax you'll probably only have 50 Ohm cable and 75 Ohm cable to
work with unless you happen to live near a good electronic surplus dealer who
has scientific and/or military gear. Then you might have a few more options. Or
you can get copper tubing in various sizes and make your own custom feed line.

        Some folks like using feed lines of certain lengths (in electrical
wavelengths) to try to avoid currents on the outside of the cable. That
technique was bigger before the advent of ferrous chokes.

Greg