We are doing this with our old CB3 and RB110 boards. I am actually turning on the 2.4ghz AP mode, so that our techs can get online through them without having to plug into the network. All of our APs are switching to 10mhz channels and the laptops can't just hop on them anymore!

Matt Larsen
vistabeam.com

On 9/1/2010 11:44 AM, Chuck Profito wrote:

Tom, that $40 SBC should be a old CB3 from the junk pile. We now call them "power pingers"

*From:* wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] *On Behalf Of *Tom DeReggi
*Sent:* Wednesday, September 01, 2010 8:42 AM
*To:* WISPA General List
*Subject:* Re: [WISPA] UPS with IP

Its tough to find "Low cost" DC inverter equipment that supports built-in IP.

Triplite makes an excellent line of Inverters, and they are affordable. (come in 12v <mailto:1...@v>, 24V, and 48V), and can handle high amerage charging and near unlimited load.

The problem is that these do NOT support IP type intelligence. There is a physical port that can show some INverter detail, such as when running on battery or not.

But this is a physical port that basically send voltage over one of the pins to state the condition. It actually has a remote physical LED block that can plug into that port.

IF someone took the time, they could make an adapter to connect that port to a computers or SBC's serial or parallel port and write a small program to read the pin voltage (on or off), and then use the SBC's SNMP or something to enable the power state to be polled. ONe way to get data on power outages is to plug a small $40 SBC bypassing the Batteries directly to the AC, then if that device is no longer pingable, you know no power is there.

Anyway, I use the Triplites now, but I as well, am looking for something of similar spec quality that has IP built-in, to simplify and improve remote monitoring.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband