From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Mark Nash - Lists
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2010 12:08 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: [WISPA] RIP vs other routing protocols

We ran into a problem yesterday that caused a large problem, and I'm now
quite sure that it was assessed properly, as our network engineer blamed
it on RIP not working properly and made the decision to implement BGP
for routing at this site.  Everywhere else, we're using RIP.

Essentially, we had to move from one tower to another on the same
mountaintop.  So we bought all new equipment and finished its
installation yesterday.  9 APs and 2 backhauls.

Using Mikrotik ethernet routers...

Now, I'm now sure of the specifics of the problem, and I'm not really
interested in asking you all to troubleshoot the problem that we had
yesterday.

My question is this...

Is RIP solid?  It's been around for decades, and I used it extensively
in the beginning years when I was doing everything.  But it seems that
we have many problems lately and RIP is being blamed for it.  It's a
very easy protocol to administer & configure, not too complicated, so I
can't imagine so many problems when things are properly configured.

I know there are better protocols to use on wireless networks these
days, and that there are protocols to use that allow failover to
redundant backhauls, etc.  That is not my question.

When properly configured...Is RIP solid?  We have about 900 customers
and about 20 tower sites.