$300 bucks per day seems damn reasonable considering what it is.

I'd be down with that.

Bob-

-----Original Message-----
From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Butch Evans
Sent: Sunday, September 05, 2010 1:40 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] mikrotik vs ubiquiti

On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 14:15 -0700, Forbes Mercy wrote:
> I keep adding filters as traffic presents itself but help and training
> is very expensive and extraordinarily technical

While I would disagree that training is "very expensive", I would have to
agree that it is very technical in nature.  My training sessions are
normally under $300/day for students (not counting hotels/flights/etc.).

> On my backhauls
> when one Mikrotik goes down its not unusual for the foul traffic to
> permeate throughout (yes I'm bridged) the network and take down other
> Mikrotik's and often requires a drive to reboot then they work fine
> again, irritating, yes but still great equipment.

Training would be especially good if you could learn something that would
keep you from having to roll a truck even once every 2 weeks.  It wouldn't
take long to pay for that.

> Ubiquiti is a monster for power and throughput, it's menus are basic
> but filters entry options are slim and limited to IP rather than by
> protocol so some things sneak through that wouldn't with Mikrotik.

This, unfortunately, is one "cost" of less expensive gear.  FWIW, you have
most of the same functionality available in both platforms, but it's just
not in the GUI for UBNT.

> I promised an analogy so here goes, I feel from experience that
> Mikrotik is the Linux of equipment, you better know what you're doing
> when you buy it.

UBNT is linux, too.  :-)

> Ubiquiti is like Windows, pretty GUI driven, and simplified at a
> reasonable cost.

You have access to iptables and more in the ssh/telnet interface with
Ubiquiti.

* Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
* http://store.wispgear.net/    * Wired or Wireless Networks       *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/   * ImageStream, Mikrotik and MORE!  *

----