From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Jeromie Reeves
Sent: Friday, September 03, 2010 10:28 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] mikrotik vs ubiquiti

We are already there. I am firmly locked into Ubnt airmax. I tried MT's
NStream, it did not work well for me. I am seeing enough 5ghz noise that I
need airmax (or something like it). I was "this" close to going back to
canopy only because I knew that while slow, it would work. If moto had wised
up and dropped the price of the AP's, I would have, but they want people
that are making 100 and 500 pack orders, not 10's and 20's. Mind you, I had
canopy back in Nehalem days of 01.
Days were good back then and got better when they fixed the NAT, added some
port filters, and a few tweaks. Right till they closed the SM--> AP 'hole'
in the firmware (gotta love check boxes and hidden web pages). After that it
took some creative firmwares to do it, and they sniffed that one out too.
Everything i've heard about Airmax says it will stand toe to toe with a
canopy ap.
I am glad airmax came when it did, and ubnts 900 is crazy affordable.
If it works half as well in 900 as it does in 5ghz, I will have a medical
condition called 'more then happy'. I have little fear that Ubnt will go
away over night, or start changing the prices of gear like some vendors do,
or suddenly changing the vendor/dealer relationships, or any number of other
games. They just need to step up on delivery capabilities and GPS.

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Steve Barnes <st...@pcswin.com> wrote:
> What I wish is a standardized Linux TDMA mechanisim.  Not airmax nor
nstreame 2, a TDMA that you can use with a cross-vendor mix.  Mikrotik is a
(to me the only) router OS.  Ubiquity is my major Wireless vendor, from
CPE's to the XR2 that go in each Mikrotik AP.  I really like Tranzeos as
well and some have a bunch of Engenius.  There has got to be away to get
these vendors to one day work and make this a standard.  If not all the
sudden we will have a market that requires you to standardize 100% on one
vendor alone.  And that vendor will have you hook line and sinker (like
MOTO).  I like my cross vendor options.

----