On Fri, 2010-10-29 at 16:15 -0700, Mark Nash wrote:
> Well.... That's not what I said.  You took that leap.

:-)  I only did so because your quoted price was in the range of the x86
systems.  I didn't intend to offend, just thought it was funny that the
comparison was made.  If it wasn't intentional and I read it wrong, then
I apologize for jumping to the wrong conclusion.  Fair enough?

> What I said was that we need port density.  That was no joke.

I agree.  I have mentioned to MT that they need to build a switch with
more than 5 ports, too.  Of course, the response was deadly silent.

> Many many many many MANY times... I need ports ports ports ports but not the
> horsepower of an x86 box and not the power draw of an x86 power supply.

My suggestion for this is to use whatever box you are gonna need and a
low cost managed switch that you can vlan.  You can buy Cisco switches
off the secondary market for peanuts these days.  That gives you the
physical ports and you can back it with whatever horsepower you may
want/need.  If you want it all in one box, then you can build an rb800
with the expansion board for even more ports than you'd get in an rb1100
(and more power, too).

* Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
* http://store.wispgear.net/    * Wired or Wireless Networks       *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/   * ImageStream, Mikrotik and MORE!  *