On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 11:09, support <supp...@nitline.com> wrote:

>  has anyone been able to get squid to ease the pain of netflix /hulu
> /youtube ???

I've played with it in the past, but never could get much out of it. I think
there are two reasons for this.

First, in my network, the pain is actually last-mile (i.e. the extra load on
the last hop to the customer), and short of putting some kind of psychic
predictive cache in the customer's home, that can't be avoided.

The second problem, and the one that's probably more important, is that even
if the content were easily cache-able (it isn't), there wouldn't be much
point to it, because the odds that any two subscribers are watching the same
TV show, at the same time, with the same video settings, being streamed from
the same Akamai server, or within a few hours of one another, is pretty
slim.

David Smith
MVN.net