At 8/31/2010 01:51 PM, Robert Kim wrote:
>WAIT...
>
>Is it even legal to block IP addresses???
>If it is.. why dont you just block the whole domain alias???

Thankfully, there is no "net neutrality" rule preventing this.

ISPs always block IP addresses.  Spammers' address blocks, and ISPs
who tolerate spammers, and ISPs who tolerate ISPs who tolerate
spammers, are routinely blocked.  As others might be.  Shoot first,
ask questions later -- this is the Mutually Assured Destruction rule
that keeps the Internet from collapsing.  And which the neuts have no
klew about.

This is one reason why ISPs are not common carriers.  Providing
"information service" (legal term in the US) means that you are not
carrying stuff blindly, though you don't have full editorial control.

So yes, a web-browsing and email only service is perfectly
legal.  Verizon Wireless sells just such a plan, in fact; it's
basically mandatory with Blackberries.  "Full" (but not quite
neutral) Internet access, as used with Droids, costs more.

  --
  Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
  ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/