>> Although it's a different scenario, the IXP folks beg to differ about
>> Quagga reliability. When the number of peers is high, it flops
>> miserably. Some of them moved to OpenBGPd, some of them to BIRD
>> (http://bird.network.cz). None of them moved to XORP, Mikrotik's
>> choice (and Vyatta's prior to switching to Quagga).
>
> Pretty sure Mikrotik is using none of those and instead rolled there
> own in there newer router OS releases.

- Mikrotik ROS 2.9x was Quagga-based (you could do a telnet 127.0.0.1
2601, for instance) ;
- Mikrotik ROS 3.15 was XORP-based according to Mikrotik; they told
that to a customer that was facing issues with that version ;
- On the Mikrotik wiki you can find info that PIM-SM Multicast code is
from XORP, although they don't say on the wiki that BGP or OSPF were
XORP's ;
- The minutes long CPU-hog was a bug described at Vyatta forums while
they were using XORP, and suddenly the same bug appears on a multitude
of Mikrotik ROS versions.

The proof is left as an exercise for the reader.

Has been XORP part of ROS at same point ? Pretty sure it was.
Is still XORP-based on 4.x, 5.0rc ? I don't know. Educated guess: XORP
up to 4.something, something else on 4.later or 5.0rc.

Rubens