Direct answer to the queston is, "you will not know when it is turned on."
IPv6 is a new protocol that uses different header information in the
packets.  If you don't turn on support on your devices, they will ignore
the packets.

I disagree with Fred's opinions.  Not everything is going to run v4
until v6 is prevalent.  There will soon be content that is only
available via v6.  We are going to need to be able to get our customers
access to v6 sometime in the not too distant future.

Since IPv6 has been standardized by the IETF, I don't think it is any
longer a Cisco dream.  It is going to become a prevalent part of the
internet.

On 1/13/2011 10:19 AM, Fred Goldstein wrote:
> At 1/13/2011 10:00 AM, GregI wrote:
>> I've got a small network with a MT RB-750 and UBNT (PS2's, NSL2's,
>> NSLM5's, NSM5's and a BulletM2) and I'm wondering how we're going to
>> fair if/when our upstream throws the switch on IPv6. I'd like to
>> hear someone else is already doing it.
>>
>> Our "upstream" apparently is Hughesnet being resold in South
>> America. I'm not sure if their system/our modem is IPv6
>> capable/ready. That may keep us on IPv4 and tunneled/nat'ed to IPv6
>> for some time.
> Personal opinion:  IPv6 is worth less than the paper its RFC is
> printed on. Ignore it and it will go away.  Really.
>
> If one of your subscribers really needs to reach something only
> accessible via IPv6, they can tunnel out.  But since there is no
> compatibility, the "transition" plan requires dual stack.  So
> everything runs v4 until everybody is on v6.  But since there's
> always more on v4 (everybody) than on v6 (those who have added the
> dual stack), there's no incentive for users to move to v4.  The only
> benefit is to some ISPs, not to users.  So users have little reason
> to move.  (Sometimes users are smarter than some ISPs.)  Plus v6 is
> an abomination, a misdesign of immense proportions, so you shouldn't
> buy into Cisco's fantasies.
>
>    --
>    Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
>    ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/
>    +1 617 795 2701

Scott Reed
Owner