Fred,

Useful discussion, let's continue.

I am guessing that in those cases, you didn't begin a presentation by
putting a pointed set of insults (the whole obstructionism bit) into the
Record.  Your slide set might have been entertaining at a WISPA conference,
or as a political broadside aimed at outsiders whose views of the FCC you
wish to lower.  But as a presentation to be mainly read by the professional
staffers at the FCC, who are for the most part dedicated, competent people
whose work is fettered by politics from above, it struck me as
counterproductive.  They do not want to be insulted.

WSI's comments and reply comments to the NPRM were very formal and factual.
My ex parte meetings at the Commission on December 8th 2010 were oral
presentations with the slides in question being used as visual aids, which
stated the facts as WSI saw them.

Most of my regulatory work is in the Part 51 area (mainly CLECs), which is
predominantly political.  What technical questions arise there are usually
resolved on a political, not fact-based, basis, mainly as cover for an
industry position.  I still harbor some illusions that Part 101 and Part 15,
to give two examples, are handled on a somewhat more honest basis, with
technical rather than political judgement being most important.  The current
version of the old joke is that the FCC staff is 1500 lawyers and Stagg
Newman, but I know there are really a few other engineers left to help keep
Stagg sane.  To be sure, WTB is rather politicized, and my own experiences
with them are not so good, but a lot of that has to do with internal
politics and silos.  I think the auctioned spectrum is subject to a lot more
political pressure.

I believe that the way people act depends a lot on their past experiences
and your experience at the Commission have been: "Most of my regulatory work
is in the Part 51 area (mainly CLECs), which is predominantly political.
What technical questions arise there are usually resolved on a political,
not fact-based, basis, mainly as cover for an industry position."

On the other hand, my thirty years of experience at the Commission has been
in Part 15 and Part 101 where I have found the OET and WTB to have based
their rulings mainly on the technical facts. When I see others make comments
that are not factually based and are made " ... mainly as cover for an
industry position" I contend their actions define them as "obstructionists,"
one who attempts to stifle new technologies.

I have no problem with innovation.  As you might have noted, I think there's
good reason to have more PtMP services, like a new updated DTS.  And indeed
I do think that some of the current requirements of Part 101 Fixed Services
lead to excessive cost.  Especially outside of the most congested areas, for
instance, smaller antennas, with less wind loading, would be most useful.
My comment on narrowband is that they require very high spectrum efficiency
(hence the whole issue over adaptive modulation) using narrowband means,
which rules out OFDM-type approaches which might (I'm only guessing) in
practice work as well (using lower interference margins and more FEC, for
instance).

I generally agree but note that all equipment for use in all licensed
bandwidths should strive for the maximum through-put capability and today
most have 256QAM capability with adaptive modulation. Also, I see the whole
issue over adaptive modulation to be manufactured by obstructionists who
base their "fear of abuse" argument on a false premise.
 Whoa.  The coordination requires that the path be *checked*.  It does not
mean that a frequency is *blocked* for 125 miles for the full circle.  HUGE
difference.  If I use a given frequency from say Indy (say, Henry St., which
is probably Ground Zero for congestion) to McCordsville, somebody looking
for a path from, say, Crow's Nest to Carmel will need to protect that path.
But the paths don't mutually interfere.  So they same frequency can probably
be used for both.  And a path from Kokomo to Gas City won't interfere.  If
the coordinators do give grief on these, then we have a problem with the
coordination rules.  Your exaggerated presentation makes these look
"wasted". But actually most of the wasted paths are unwanted, since there's
probably no demand for many fixed paths from Gas City to Wheeling, or from
Wheeling to Leisure, etc.  *And the WTB guys know this.*  Mobile of course
is very different...

When a potentially blocked path becomes wanted by a new applicant and he is
blocked, the path blockage becomes very real.

Under Part 101 Fixed rules, each path, when requested, gets coordinated and
given primary status.  Or rejected.  I'm noting Tom's concern that
auxiliary, by turning PtP into PtMP, may increase demand for PtP primary
licenses, and thus worsen, not reduce, congestion.  And the little guys
always lose.

There is an increasing demand for higher and higher capacity microwave
paths. What we want is to create rules that make better use of spectrum (100
auxiliary paths instead of 100 primary paths), increase the value of that
spectrum and leave more spectrum available for all new applicants. In this
way everybody wins.

I will again quote FCC Chairman Genachowski:

"We can't create more spectrum, so we have to make sure it's used
efficiently."

Nobody disagrees with that platitude.  The question is "how?"  You support
one view, but your arguments were not well made.  And from the PoV of the
WISP community, there is risk as well as opportunity.

What risk? I see the risk as being opportunity lost.

.         Last but not least, auxiliary stations will give WISPs a
significant business growth opportunity.

I have a suspicion that much larger companies would be more likely to be the
ones to win any battles here.

I don't think so, as the FCC's rules on spectrum acquisition levels the
playing field and also WISPs are better placed to be first to market in
their service area with the same licensed service performance and, with
their traditionally low overhead, they have an opportunity to beat the
competition on price.

What you are proposing is maintain the legacy approach, with all of its
drawbacks. How will that conserve spectrum, dramatically lower the cost of
licensed microwave backhaul and access, and benefit WISPs?

You are suggesting a best-case outcome for a proposal that you have not
argued for very well.  I am suggesting that there may be better approaches,
and that Tom has a point that your proposal could possibly backfire on the
WISP community.

There are those who fear change and those who embrace change. I believe
there is a major opportunity for those WISPs who are willing to take it. The
fear is that those who fail to be proactive will be left on the outside
looking in.

Mike