At 1/31/2011 10:33 AM, David Weddell wrote:
>(Somewhat of a soapbox)
>
>The whole "stimulus" plan was the first step to reward a "few"
>winners. When you see the red tape attached to stimulus awards, it
>should make one run far away. We applied because "consultants"
>convinced us that it would be a way to fund our rural areas. We,
>Indiana WISPA, heard a great message a few weeks ago at our
>statewide meeting from Dan Picker of Purewave on how stimulus funds
>were the biggest disaster towards stimulating anything. Those of us
>that wasted time applying for funds kept from ordering equipment,
>making commitments to build out our network in the same manner that
>got us where we were already and we all suffered for the delay.
>Suppliers had the worst year and equipment manufacturers sat idles.
>Now we see how a government can control the entire Internet business
>with one switch. The sad thing is, we are down to a handful of
>"real" Internet providers that we buy our services from in the US.
>How long will it be before the Government will be able to shut us off l
>  ike they did in Egypt?

Not all of the stimulus grants were so problematic.  Some will be
very useful to the WISP community.  Some of the middle mile networks
will make backhaul a lot easier, providing the first competition to
very very expensive ILEC Special Access.  Maine's Three Ring Binder
and the Massachusetts Broadband Institute, for instance, are running
fiber into rural areas with the hope that WISPs will pick up some of
the last mile (which alas BTOP round 2 would not pay for).

However, the BIP program was largely a handout to the usual rural
ILECs, since it favored existing RUS borrowers (like ILECs).  Still,
some competitive providers did get a piece of the action.

As to protection against shutoff and blocking, we need to think about
how fragile the Internet architecture is, and how to work around its
weak points.  I doubt that a "kill switch" would be very effective
here, but the more the Internet is concentrated in the hands of a few
providers, the easier it will be.  I wonder if the FCC's strongly
anticompetitive push starting early in 2001 was being encouraged by
the "security" apparat.

  --
  Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
  ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/