For what it's worth, I had a super noisy Wi-Fi noise environment
(hundreds of clients, dozens of APs, little to no channel
coordination, etc) and got a handle on the situation by putting these
band pass filters

http://www.rflinx.com/products/filters/2400/bpf/

I got several of each, but I ended up using channel 1 mostly.  When I
put that puppy in, I got like 40 dB less noise on the channels I
didn't want, and I also could not even hear other APs when I moved the
radio to channels 2-11 (there is that much isolation in the filter).

Now throughput is much smoother and higher.  Before I put these in,
bandwidth would be slow and come in spurts (as evidenced by various
throughput tools like iperf and online speed tests).

--
Also on LinkedIn?  Feel free to connect if you too are an open
networker: scubac...@gmail.com