I will take a bylaws change to add different "classes" to each membership level.   As the current bylaws read, each membership level has to be charged at the same rate.   That is part of why we did the dues increase the way that we did them.    Our intention is to make that change to the bylaws in order to implement the different classes next year, but we could not do it this time around.

Matt Larsen
vistabeam.com

On 5/31/2011 9:50 AM, Tom DeReggi wrote:
Not to make suggestions after the fact but....

In the past, it was realized that flexibilty was lost in setting appropriate dues because there were only a limited number of classes (assoc, principal, vendor).

It would make sense to also add to the bylaws and ballot, the ability for the board to set additional "classes" of membership.

The reason for this is... the majority class is currently "principle". Currently if the member prospect does not qualify for "principle" the alternative becomes the lower revenue "associate" class even if the prospect was a candidate appropriate to pay a higher rate. A class could be used to advertise specific companies as higher contributors, such as a Gold and Platnum principle member (a WISP that is larger or desired to donate more cash in excahnge for good will).  As well additional classes could be used to allow a membership without certain privilages that other WISPs might have. For example which Lists they have access to. (An example of that might have been the WCA 3650 issue, where a telco might want to join to work on a specific project, but may not qualify as a typical WISP). Adding Classes, enables the ability to target alternate revenue streams, other than to raise principle member's dues, and without compromising principle member's voting power and association focus.  Alternatively, it would work to give the ability to add "sub-classes", that allowed fine tuning of rights or dues per that specific sub-class.  For example, manufacturer versus service provider versus investor. Or WISPs under 500sub, 500-5000, and Large National providers > 5000.  Or Associate of government versus non-profit versus consultant, versus press, versus newbie exploring wireless.

I'm not suggesting defing classes now, just suggesting board given the ability to add classes, if needed in the future.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband

----- Original Message -----
From: Victoria
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2011 11:35 AM
Subject: [WISPA] FW: WISPA Bylaws

Dear Members,

This election, you are going to be presented with proposed changes in the WISPA Bylaws.  Rick has posted these changes: http://www.wispa.org/?page_id=4752

Please take a moment and be familiar with them.

If you have any questions, please email to: wispabyl...@wispa.org

Thanks and have a great Memorial Day!

Best regards,

Victoria Proffer

President/CEO

St. Louis Broadband, LLC

314-974-5600

Wispa_logo+slogan2008SM     2010 - 2011 Board of Directors

Committee Chairs - Bylaws | National Disaster | State Coordinators |Missouri State Coordinator