Well, it allows for VoIP, which we should all be doing to help our bottom lines.

it also helps many WISPs obtain their connection to the net, but they should be doing something Bell-less anyway.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com

On 7/17/2011 2:50 PM, RickG wrote:
Bingo! It had nothing to do with the wireless business.

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Fred Goldstein <fgoldst...@ionary.com <mailto:fgoldst...@ionary.com>> wrote:

    At 7/17/2011 01:44 PM, RickG wrote:
    >So it wasnt "the 1996 Telecom Act that allowed us (ISP's) to be able
    >to go into the business of providing
    >internet access and other communication services"

    It didn't allow entry into the internet business per se.

    It allowed entry into the DSL business.
    It allowed entry into the local dial tone business.  This is worth
    good money to some ISPs today, and it was necessary to prevent the
    PSTN from melting down during the dial-up boom in 1997-2000.  The
    Bell alternative was to price ISPs too high to create congestion.
    It led to EELs, which allow some ISP-CLECs to reach non-local
    commercial customers at much lower rates than Special Access.

     --
     Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
    <http://ionary.com>

-RickG