At 7/29/2012 07:25 PM, lakeland wrote:
Military had a ton of stuff operating at 400 Hz at one time

Now that you mention it, I think many IBM mainframes also ran at 400 Hz. In those days before switching power supplies, a motor-generator set to raise the mains frequency to 400 Hz was more efficient than trying to generate sufficient DC power at 60 Hz. (They needed a LOT of power.)

How much juice does this puppy use? It says solid state; I wonder if the multi-kilowatt transmitter is solid state or if they needed a klystron or other tube final amp.

(Of course I think hams are allowed a kW on the 5.8 GHz band. Could be fun in a UHF contest. ;-) )

----- Reply message -----
From: "Blair Davis" <the...@wmwisp.net>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Subject: [WISPA] trigger DFS for all your friends
Date: Sun, Jul 29, 2012 6:59 pm

with a 400Hz power supply, it almost sounds like it was for airborne use...

On 7/29/2012 12:58 PM, Eric Williams {WISP} wrote:

Ralph the link you sent is to a add ? What is the DFS widget ?

Eric Williams {W7EMW}
Williams Tel Data / SDWISP
The man with a secure wireless plan!
8130 La Mesa Bl #700
La Mesa Ca 91942
619-698-3904 {office}

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 09:49:56 -0400
From: Ralph <mailto:ralphli...@bsrg.org><ralphli...@bsrg.org>
Subject: [WISPA] Real World example 5.4GHz  RADAR- and YOU can own it
To: 'WISPA General List' <mailto:wireless@wispa.org><wireless@wispa.org>

You come across the weirdest things at a Hamfest!
Now you can trigger DFS for all your friends.

I posted the info about it (minus the owner's info) at

<http://ads22.imgur.com/all>http://ads22.imgur.com/all

T H I S   I S    N O T    M I N E.

I   A M   N O T  S E L L I N G   I T.

I  D O   N O T  K N O W  W H O  H A S  I T  N O W

West Michigan Wireless ISP
Allegan, Michigan  49010
269-686-8648

A Division of:
Camp Communication Services, INC

 Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
 ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/
 +1 617 795 2701