 From: "Bret Clark" <bcl...@spectraaccess.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:22 PM
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Subject: [WISPA] Internet Speed test..are they inaccurate with wireless?

We mostly deal with business customer and guarantee bandwidth to customers.
We validate the bandwidth using IPERF from a Linux server off of our BGP
edge routers down to the customer and IPERF always shows the customer
getting the bandwidth they signed up for.  We use QoS to control bandwidth
and make sure to not oversubscribe any one link....small ratios of 3:1.

Of course eventually at some point the customer runs one of those stupid
bandwidth test on the Internet and the results are woefully inaccurate (not
in our favor)...but  of course customers take the results as gospel.
AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!

It's not our internet connections, we have three 100Mbps BGP links and none
of them run at more then 50% during peak loads.

Has anyone else found those Internet speed test to be woefully inaccurate?
Or is something else going on that I'm missing?

Thanks,
Bret