that is a common situation, but another one is:
"Sir, you had to have some virus or p2p application..."
"no, you changed something now it's working well, so you are not telling
me all the truth, it's working good now only because I called to
complain..."

We did nothing but they keep not believe us. Sometimes I feel that the
more you tell the truth the more they will not believe you

Maybe I could have better success with "yes, you are right we catch all
the packets coming from complaining users and we give them higher
priority by hand, so the more you call us the faster you go..."
hum... unfortunately they do not pay us to spend time at the phone or
that could be a good approach :)

> For us this is the biggest one.
> I will have customer call, speedtest says 384K.  Look at the radio and
> we are pushing 2.04M in on a 2M connection.  "Ask your kids to turn off
> all their devices and try again."  "Oh, wow, I am getting the full 2M
> now. What did you change?"  Then the long explanation about shared
> bandwidth on their connection.
> Has to be the same for businesses, though it is kind of hard to have all
> the other kids turn off their computers.
>
> On 8/21/2012 3:33 PM, Larry Weidig wrote:
>>
>> Bret:
>>
>> We have found that the tests are “fairly” accurate (well speedtest.net
>> anyhow), *_BUT_* only in controlled environments.  Your end user is
>> probably running these tests when their Internet is “slow”.  Viola
>> look I am right it is slow, xyz speed test says so!  What he does not
>> realize is that Johnny intern in the warehouse has set his computer up
>> to grab torrents for him while he picks stock and then just dumps the
>> off to flash before heading out.  Ok, that is just one example, but
>> all sorts of other traffic can come into play.
>>
>> We tell our customers that we are not at all interested in speed tests
>> unless we have a support person on the line watching their link for
>> other types of traffic as well during the test.  We also host their
>> speedtest.net mini (free) on own of our own servers so that we can
>> eliminate any Internet oddness causing problems with the results.  The
>> mini however only seems accurate up to about 25-30 Mbps in our
>> experience at which point the results are only ballpark at best. Ookla
>> claims mini is good until about 50 Mbps, but that has not been our
>> experience.
>>
>> Just what we have experienced with speedtest results.
>>
>> Larry A. Weidig (lwei...@excel.net <mailto:lwei...@excel.net>)
>>
>> Excel.Net, Inc. – http://www.excel.net/
>>
>> (920) 452-0455 – Sheboygan/Plymouth area
>>
>> (888) 489-9995 – Other areas, toll-free

Ing. Paolo Di Francesco

Level7 s.r.l. unipersonale

Sede operativa: Largo Montalto, 5 - 90144 Palermo

C.F. e P.IVA  05940050825
Fax : +39-091-8772072
assistenza: (+39) 091-8776432
web: http://www.level7.it