My two cents: If you discharge part of your battery bank unevenly (pull off
just half of your 24v bank to get 12v for some loads) you will have trouble
with part of the bank getting over charged and part of the bank not getting
charged enough. If you were charging the bank with an AC charger that
charges each battery individually according to it's needs that wouldn't be
a problem. But if you're charging the entire bank with a single device that
charges the entire string in series like a 24v solar charger that is not a
good way to go. You'd be better off with a 24v to 12v regulator.

Greg