Hi Folks,

Hopefully this isn't too far off subject for this list.

I want to start learning a little more about mikrotik, but I'm having
trouble finding good study resources.  I've looked at the wiki, and
while good, it's more of a cookbook than a tech-pub, at least IMO.  I
don't want "How to replace your linksys with an MT" and don't need a lot
of extra text to slog through that's mostly present to keep me
engaged/motivated.  I'm very used to reading Cisco's doc-cd (or whatever
they're calling it these days) and honestly prefer technically rich but
direct and to the point.  I'd also prefer CLI examples rather than
looking at rescaled screenies from winbox.  Does such a beast exist?  If
not, what's the standard way to delve in to ROS?

As an example of what I'm running up against, I'll use queuing.  I use
DSCP markings on the network I manage to differentiate traffic. I was
stunned to discover that MT (apparently) can't simply match existing
DSCP markings and act on them, but instead requires me to match them,
give them some internal packet mark, and then act on those non-DSCP
markings.  I wanted to better understand what was really going on inside
the router, and wanted to verify that what I thought I understood was
really the case.  I read the wiki pages on HTB and Queues, but I still
don't truly understand how to guarantee, say EF tagged traffic, a
certain amount of bandwidth other than limit-at= and a higher relative
priority setting (priority=1?).  But is that single queue enough, or do
I also need to create what in cisco-land would be "class-default?"  TBH,
I still don't even understand how and what MT uses internally to "mark"
packets with tags like "VoipTraffic" or whatever.  Obviously the packet
isn't being marked with an ascii string...

Ideas?  Better place to ask this?

Thanks!

TD