On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 11:59 PM, Mike Hammett <wispawirel...@ics-il.net> wrote:
> I believe the source project has no or minimal MPLS support.
>
> Lack of MPLS is a deal killer for me, but I suspect they'll get it in there.

There are some reasons to use Router OS MPLS

1) Main reason is VPLS, either for private network customers or PPPoE
aggregation.
2) Then comes accelerated packet processing, which MT will now do for
IP packets with the FastPath feature
3) The comes "look, my network runs MPLS, the protocol of the big carriers"

What Ubiquiti could do, fast, is to provide both PWE3 and GRE
capabilities, layer 2 and layer 3 tunneling. There is no need of MPLS
to provide such services in a scenario the routers have good packets
per second capabilities, like the Ubiquiti routers do.

The MPLS capabilities of high-end routers linked to QoS and fast
recovery are not there in Router OS, and I don't see Ubiquiti going
after the service provider market Juniper leads and Cisco is a close
follower. If UBNT wants to kick Mikrotik, tunneling and aggregation
features (DHCP, RADIUS auth, Hotspot, PPPoE) are the ones to have.
MPLS or not MPLS is not the point.

Rubens