> I don't know who is feature complete, or even what constitutes feature
> complete these days, given how MPLS is sort of a family of moving
> targets.  I've looked around and seen a few different Linux projects, in
> various states of partial completion, some seeming to have happy users
> but no support and others still under way.  It's typical Linux, where
> the GPL is supposed to make it easy to share but in practice everyone
> likes to write their own stuff, getting the easy 80% done but not taking
> the 80% of the time for the rest.  But RouterOS got something out there,
> and if it's in the kernel, somebody should have made sources available.
>    Not that MT has to say where it came from!  (Or did they fit it into
> userland?)

My understanding was that the MT implementation was closed source and,
as Jeff said, either written in house or licensed from some third party.

I don't know that for sure but, as I'm fairly sure there is no open
source MPLS project out there that implements everything MT has, they
have either done considerable work to complete all the missing features
or wrote from scratch.

I agree with you on the 80% statement but there are benchmark projects
in Linux for most networking functionality (e.g. tc for rate limiting,
iptables for firewall, quagga for dynamic routing) and I haven't found
one of those for MPLS yet.

--
Simon Westlake
Powercode.com