According to the Illinois Prevailing Wage Act, "public utilities" are exempt
from the prevailing wage.

"Public works" does not include work done directly by any public utility
company, whether or not done under public supervision or direction, or paid
for wholly or in part out of public funds.

In theory, you could get set up as a utility and then claim exemption from
the act.  The downside is that becoming a public utility might introduce
more expense/overhead than is avoided by paying the prevailing wage.

Also note that you don't have to pay the prevailing wage to anyone that
works on the project.  Just to those persons who are in the class of workers
that are covered by the act:  laborers, workers and mechanics.  I would
argue that administrators, technicians, engineers, etc. are not in that
category.  I realize that this doesn't help a lot because you probably don't
want to be paying your tower climber more than your network administrator.

Regards,
Larry Yunker
Former Illinois WISP
Current Ohio Attorney

Disclaimer: The foregoing is not to be construed as legal advice but rather
a layperson discussion of a business topic.