Getting your users to just use Firefox or Chrome will prolong the life of
their XP boxes. An light footprint anti-virus perhaps even more so, if the
machine can handle it.

Most exploits come in through IE. Your sysadmin should be able to detect IE
and/or XP on proxy logs, if you really care, and would like to pro-actively
block ports or put them on a list.

Most people's computers will just stop working and they'll take it to a
repair shop. (At which point their bank accounts, etc may be long
compromised...) There they will either be recommended to buy a new PC with
an OEM Windows... or they may get a friend to load a bootleg Windows -
which will just further expose them to having their sensitive data
compromised.

Best yet, switch to Mint Linux or Ubuntu. Mint is surprisingly compatible
and easy to use for Windows users. Much friendlier than Windows, in
fact. In fact, Mint is more like Windows, than Windows 8 is. What are they
losing? Windows games and Microsoft Office. And if they can afford those,
they can afford a new Windows.

I've seen XP SP2 machines that haven't been updated since 2008... and are
still running clean. Without antivirus. The firewall is on and they only
run Firefox. And they're on isolated LAN's, behind NAT. It's not as much
about the OS as it is about what flash discs are plugged into them, what
else is on their LAN, or what websites they visit and what executable they
download. If they can... many of them are behind filtering proxies and
network firewalls, locked in boxes with no access to their USB ports.