On-call programs are one of the three most common areas (after independent
contractor/employee misclassifications and salary/overtime issues) that tech
companies, including WISPs, get tripped up on regularly.  It is possible, but
certainly not guaranteed, that you can pay someone a lower “on call” rate or
some flat rate for being “on call.”  Remember that it does not matter AT ALL if
you and your employee/contractor have agreed on how to handle
pay/on-call/overtime.  If your pay plan violates state and federal law, you are
still liable (BOTH personally AND as a business—no hiding behind the corporate
veil here) and state and federal agencies can still audit and fine you, even if
your employee doesn’t care!

Speaking generally, under the federal Fair Labor Standards Act, they key issue
in determining whether an employee is "working" while on call is whether the
employee is "engaged to wait" or "waiting to be engaged." Generally speaking,
if an employee is required to somewhere specific during certain hours and is
not free to leave, then even if the employee spends the time sleeping or
reading a magazine the time is considered work time. (There is an exception to
this rule for employees with shifts of at least 24 hours - in that case, an
employer can, by agreement with the employee, deduct no more than 8 hours for
sleeping time.)

On the other hand, if an employee merely has to be available to respond to a
call by cell phone, or to report to a worksite within a reasonable period of
time, but is otherwise legitimately free to go about his or her personal
activities, then the time will not be considered work time. Of course, any time
spent actually responding to calls that do come in would be considered work
time and would have to be compensated as such.

Exactly where this line is drawn can be fuzzy. For example, if an employee is
expected to report to work within 15 minutes of receiving an emergency call,
that short response time may severely limit the employee's ability to go about
his or her personal activities, and may result in the on-call time being
considered work time. Exactly how long the response time would need to be,
however, will depend upon various factors such as location and commuting
distances.

Please make sure that you’ve had someone review your on-call program, along
with any “contractor” relationships or salary pay plans you have.  If you don’t
have a written legal opinion, please get one.  Even small errors here can add
up quickly and result in massive liability for your WISP.

Doug

Douglas A. Hass
Associate
312.786.6502
d...@franczek.com

Franczek Radelet P.C.
Celebrating 20 Years | 1994-2014

300 South Wacker Drive
Suite 3400
Chicago, IL 60606
312.986.0300 - Main
312.986.9192 - Fax
www.franczek.com<http://www.franczek.com/>

Franczek Radelet is committed to sustainability - please consider the
environment before printing this email
________________________________
Circular 230 Disclosure: Under requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue
Service, we inform you that, unless specifically stated otherwise, any federal
tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not
intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purposes of (i)
avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing
or recommending to another party any transaction or tax-related matter herein.
For more information about Franczek Radelet P.C., please visit franczek.com.
The information contained in this e-mail message or any attachment may be
confidential and/or privileged, and is intended only for the use of the named
recipient. If you are not the named recipient of this message, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message or
any attachment thereto, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
message in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.