Agreed, that SIP/RTP   NAT issues are non-issue when you are using a consistent
Router such as Mikrotik.

B2BUA (Back to Back user agent, e.g. asterisk to asterisk) has its advantage
and also it's own set of issues (typically in Codec Conversion ...

STUN or TURN are not necessary either, all depends on the deployment.

We don't depoly sip proxy either, we spin small instances (openvz) for each
customer, have a scripted install for Freepbx, security etc.. let the phones
register to the pbx directly.

I strongly disagree about security for the pbx, it is irrelevant if the pbx is
hosted or on client premises, security has to be proactive and reactive, static
security is not sufficient, I believe it is less work maintaining a number of
VPS vs a number of distributed hardware devices located at multiple client
premises.

As to the question of Hosted vs On-Premise, the right answer has to do with
what I call external factors...
e.g. in our neck of the woods, travel time is a significant factor, and cost of
professional labor is high...
being able to manage VPS, provisioning, backup, etc etc (we do all of this
remotely from our office on machines located at the Data Center), we are able
to do things much more efficiently than dealing with travel time and running
around town. (Heck, only today,  I turned up two new extension, one in
Oklahoma, and another in Tennessee, for a Client based out of Carmel,IN, with
local DID's, and these two extension are ready to be in service for tomorrow's
business day !)

I will agree with you that, having an on-premise pbx is advantageous when there
is an internet outage (local ext. to ext calls work), this is the reason why
most of our implementations have dual internet connections (which is easier for
us to do in our neck of the woods), thus the hosted solution offering being
more advantageous, (most folks are also carrying Cell Phones, and heavily
utilize failover to cell in case of an outage).

The flip side is, that if the hosted pbx is in the Data Center with redundant
internet, it does not go down in case of internet outage the calls get directed
to VM, or forwarded to Cell. Which is not true in-case of onsite pbx.

I believe that Service Providers, need to learn how to deal with Voice on their
network, and offer voice services to their customers, when done properly, it is
most likely to be the MOST PROFITABLE service. If not done properly, it can be
the biggest headache.

SIP, Voice are mature and accepted Technologies, customers are receptive to it,
and philosophically speaking I like to keep consistent with the Service
Provider mentality... vs Hardware Sales mentality.... When we can offer
anything as a service for recurring revenue, Why would we want to settle for a
one time revenue from Hardware Sale and Integration ?

I agree with you, that this is 75%  NSP Business Owner philosophy, and about
25% actual Tech reasoning.

I am glad to have this discussion on the list, hopefully this will get folk to
consider / re-consider their position on offering Voice Services..

:)

Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet & Telecom
7266 SW 48 Street