From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Fred Goldstein
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2014 1:03 PM
To: wireless@wispa.org
Subject: Re: [WISPA] UBNT RocketAC spotted on FCC site

On 7/3/2014 9:33 AM, Ben Moore wrote:
> $135 MSRP for rocket-lite.

That's excellent.  One of the contractors working with us recently replaced
a pair of old Motorola PTPs with NanoStation Ms.  It's just a camera, so it
doesn't need much speed, so when I found its wireless side converging at 270
Mbps (the bottleneck is the Ethernet), I turned it down to a 20 MHz channel
so it's merely 130 Mbps.  And I moved it down to DFSland, where the AP side
properly moved the slider all the way to the right at +14 (since the antenna
gain is 16 dB). But lessee... the old Motorola charged extra for allowing
speeds above 25 Mbps, extra for encryption, and cost about 50 times as much
as the UBNT to begin with.

Oh, but the PTP had a metal body, unlike the nano.  But the new Rockets are
metal too.  So really, it's embarrassing -- if you're the one still trying
to sell at the old Moto price points!

Not to rain on the sunshine here -- but I did see one issue when I actually
read the FCC test report.  It was only being tested for the
15.247 band (5725-5850), not U-NII.  At least the old PTPs had DFS (with
separate SKUs needed to use the DFS and non-DFS channels!), and the plain
NanoStation does.  So will the Rocket-lite have U-NII support?
That could include either or both of the DFS bands and the new UNII-1 band
at 5150.

I also notice that WISPA is petitioning to have the 15.407 (U-NII) rules
changed to be easier to meet.  But the NanoStation, Rocket M, and NanoBridge
already do, at low cost, so does UBNT know more than its competitors do, or
are the new rules harder?

--
  Fred R. Goldstein      k1io     fred "at" interisle.net
  Interisle Consulting Group