On 7/7/2014 6:53 PM, Adam Greene wrote:
> Fred,
>
> I think one aspect of the new 15.407 (U-NII) rules that UBNT may not yet
> meet is the 40MHz filter requirement on both ends of the 5725MHz-5850MHz
> spectrum, which as I understand it, will effectively limit the usable range
> to 5765MHz - 5810MHz. Or maybe they already have the filter? In any case,
> the range reduction will still mean replacing some existing deployments with
> different frequency gear, if I'm interpreting the new rules correctly. :(
>
> Thanks,
> Adam

I did a little research on that today, just enough to be dangerous.

The requirement in 15.407 that drives everyone nuts is that out-of-band
emissions must be at -17 dBm/MHz EIRP at the band edge and -27 dBm/MHz
at 10 MHz.  That translates to 40 dB at the edge if you use the +53 dB
limit of the 5150-5250 band.  Compare to 15.247 which is 30 dB relative
to the desired signal, not to a fixed EIRP. It's trivial to meet 30 dB.
It's harder to meet 40 dB.  So either you need more distance from the
band edge or a filter, but the filter is frankly impractical, almost a
straw horse argument.

So I pulled the FCC's type approval report for UBNT's NBM5, which in
fact has 15.407 approval.  The lab report includes spectrum analyzer
plots.  As I read it, that radio actually does seem to meet 40 dB
suppression at around 10 MHz from the edge of a 20 MHz 11n signal, so
(with 5850 the limit) it could be centered at 5830.  Perhaps I'm
misinterpreting it, but it looked mighty clean, and since the antenna is
integral, it doesn't have to worry about EIRP.  However, the U-NII plots
were being done down in the 5250 band, where the tested power output was
only around 0 dBm, since EIRP is capped at +30 (less if <20 MHz wide)
and there are two chains feeding a 25 dB dish.  It might not be quite so
clean at full power, what's now allowed on 5150 and what's proposed for
5725.  Heck, at 0 dBm the final amp an run in full Class A and not get
warm.  (Mimosa's petition notes that a Class A amp is usually around 5%
efficient, the more common Class AB about 10%.  I'm sort of surprised
that microwave GaAs is not more efficient; I'm used to the much higher
efficiency of HF ham and broadcast-band transmitters.)

Anyway, there are two petitions, Mimosa's and WISPAs.  Mimosa just wants
the interference cap modified so that if antenna gain is >6 dB, the
unwanted signal can go up by 6 dB.  That results in a 40 dB ratio from a
+30 transmitter, or 30 dB from a +20 transmitter.  And the ability of a
professional installer to mix'n'match antennas is saved.  So I'm working
on a Comment in favor of both petitions.

--
  Fred R. Goldstein      k1io     fred "at" interisle.net
  Interisle Consulting Group