From: Colton Conor
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2014 4:42 PM
To: r...@sbnettech.com ; WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] 2dbi vs 3dbi vs 5 dbi vs 100mw vs 400mw

We are deploying a DSL network, and Broadcom is the leader in the DSL chipset
market. So most all these modems we are using have a Broadcom SoC design with
the VDSL2 modem, 802.11N 2x2 MIMO, Ethernet Switch, and CPU all built in. The
only thing the modem manufacturers change is the power output on the Broadcom
wifi (via a amp on the broad) and the selection of internal or external omni
antennas for the most part. Plus some tweak the wifi settings.

We are trying to decide if it is worth the small price premium to pay for the
modem that has the high powered amp at 400mw vs the regular ones that only have
100mw. Sounds like the the high powered ones are worth it especially since we
have no control of the clients devices (I guess you rarely ever do anyways) and
we are only supplying one AP/router per home.

I guess this is why AT&T uverse gets such good ratings and reviews from their
customers on wifi? They are using 2Wire/Pace modems for the most part that have
all high powered wifi. Thats why in an AT&T area you can see tons of them.