At the air interface there is not much difference between WiMAX and LTE, and
WiMAX had better characteristics for power consumption and other 'greenfield'
factors, but LTE was the pathway for GSM operators, so almost all of the mobile
operators in Europe committed to it, and the Verizon Wireless co-owner at the
time, Vodafone, would have influenced the decision greatly. Lower deployment
costs to upgrade existing networks and existing vendor relationships with the
GSM manufacturers made the decision easy.

Now imagine if Cambium and Ubiquiti announced LTE gear tomorrow? I bet quite a
few members here would look at it.

Daniel

Josh Luthman <j...@imaginenetworksllc.com> wrote ..