I've had similar experiences at FM sites. The basic issue is that many FM transmitters have a spurious spike about 1MHz wide right around 32MHz. Since 100Mbps and 1000Mbps ethernet use a base frequency of 32.5MHz, this is what causes your issue. If this spurious emission from the transmitter has enough power, it will drop your links to 10Mbps.

>I moved our radios 35 feet away from the bottom their antennas and still cannot link at 100BT.
I always try to be 30+ft away, so that should be a reasonable distance.

> I've tried ferrite rings on both ends, all cables are shielded and grounded.

We also use fully shielded and grounded cables. By this I mean Shireen with RF armor ends, and McCowan surge suppressors at the top, grounded to the tower frame. We don't use any other special grounding mechanisms (such as grounding the CAT5 shield using an LMR200 grounding kit - which I've had suggested before, but never tried).

What we have found to be a successful tactic is using Ferrites - however, it can't be just any ferrite, and it has to be installed in a specific way.

We use a FAIR-RITE Type 44 snap-on (TYpe 43 or Type 44 are acceptable):
http://www.kregercomponents.com/fair-rite-products/0444164281

The solid equivalent is 2643540002 but you'll have to recrimp your cables to use them. It does have higher impedance than the snap-on units, though, so there is a slight benefit.

You must fully weatherproof these, or freeze/thaw will break them off in one or two winters!

Next, you need to use enough of them. You must form a continuous line of ferrites *for at least 12 inches*. One single ferrite _is not sufficient_. We use TEN units on each end of the cable.

Next, you need to put them in the right place: The continuous line of ferrites must start _no further than 10cm from the termination point_ of the cable.

We have had repeatable success with this method at several FM sites. It's not perfect, as sometimes a link will still kick down every now and then, but it makes the problem a lot more tolerable. I suspect that more chokes would reduce the frequency of "every now and then".

On 7/14/2016 3:18 PM, Marco Coelho wrote:
I have an existing tower that has a FM transmitter on it. I believe they are just under 10,000 Watts. Since we have been one that tower, I could never link up Ethernet that runs up the tower to the equipment on the bottom at 100BT. I've tried ferrite rings on both ends, all cables are shielded and grounded. Always had to go to 10BT to get a link.

I moved our radios 35 feet away from the bottom their antennas and still cannot link at 100BT.

The new radios require 1000BT too use them to full advantage. Ideas?

I'm considering conduit all the way up the tower. I don't want to put switches at the top.

--
Marco C. Coelho
Argon Technologies Inc.

-  Nick Bright                                -
-  Vice President of Technology               -
-  Valnet -=- We Connect You -=-              -
-  Tel 888-332-1616 x 315 / Fax 620-331-0789  -
-  Web http://www.valnet.net/                 -
- Are your files safe?                        -
- Valnet Vault - Secure Cloud Backup          -
- More information & 30 day free trial at     -
- http://www.valnet.net/services/valnet-vault -

This email message and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the
addressees hereof. This message and any attachments may contain information
that is confidential, privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable
law. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are prohibited
from reading, disclosing, reproducing, distributing, disseminating or otherwise
using this transmission. If you have received this message in error, please
promptly notify the sender by reply E-mail and immediately delete this message
from your system.