On 12/27/2016 3:25 PM, Sam Morris wrote:
I have a question to which I suspect I know the answer but wanted to
defer to you smart guys.

Let's say I'm opening up a new WISP and want to go into an area where
there is an existing WISP already there. And let's say I want to use
3.65 GHz (non-LTE if that matters) gear in that area, but that the
existing WISP already has 3.65 GHz gear up in the same area, and has it
licensed properly with the FCC.

I'm guessing that the existing WISP wins, and that I wouldn't be allowed
to come in and put my gear up, potentially interfering with his existing
operation.

Is that correct or is it not as simple as this?

It's a little more complex. First off, you do need a license for now, and those aren't being given out, though there are uh strong rumors that they can be purchased from existing holders... they're non-exclusive, non-territorial licenses. Note that this is "for now".

If someone has registered devices with the FCC before April, 2015, those devices are classified as Incumbent and are protected against interference except from other Incumbents. So a new device from a licensee who didn't register it on time can't interfere with it. But they can operate on a non-interfering basis -- the protected registration is to a specific device on a specific frequency at a specific location. If the Incumbent is using gear that is only approved for the less-restrictive 3650-3675 segment, then the 3675-3700 segment is vacant, provided the gear you use is approved for use up there.

If two licensees operate in the same area and want to put up more radios and neither has priority over the other (by being registered on time), then the "sandbox clause" takes over: They are not protected against interference, but they are expected to cooperate with each other to try to minimize harm. This is different from 5 GHz or other unlicensed frequencies, where interference has to be essentially malicious (like the hotel Wi-Fi jammer) to get the FCC's attention.

Existing 3650 (WBS) licenses can be renewed, but renewals all end in 2020; only 10-year licenses issued in a 2010-2013 window will last longer (until their 10 years is up). By then, CBRS rules will fully take over.

Under CBRS rules, devices operate under one of three priorities: Incumbent, Priority Access License (PAL), or General Authorized Access (GAA). Incumbent includes those unexpired, registered WBS devices, as well as federal and satellite users. PAL will be the auctioned right to claim priority on a channel within a census tract, though the specific channel is not specified in the license. GAA is "licensed by rule", which is sort of unlicensed but has priority over actual unlicensed stuff, and a higher power limit.

CBRS devices, called CBSDs, operate on a channel for which a Spectrum Authorization System (SAS) authorizes them. The 3550-3650 range has 10 10-MHz channels of which up to 7 can be claimed as PAL in a given location, while 3650-3700 is Incumbents (including WBS) /and/ GAA. GAA still has to protect /unregistered/ user devices connected to registered access points, but not nearly as far out as registered user devices get protection. The SAS is supposed to iron this out in real time when the CBSD requests a Grant to transmit.

So once CBSDs are available and the band is really open, then you can just buy gear, sign it up with a SAS, and operate GAA. This should happen within a year. I'm one of WISPA's reps on the WinnForum Spectrum Sharing Committee, which is writing the rules and protocols for the SAS operations, and the process is moving reasonably quickly. Until then, you need to figure out if you can operate without interfering with an existing WBS user, and then you may be able to uh find a WBS license to operate under. Bear in mind that some WBS devices will qualify to become CBSDs, but others will not. The LTE stuff and some of the other high-grade stuff probably will. Other stuff (adapted Wi-Fi gear comes to mind) may have to sign off when the WBS licenses expire.

Sorry to be a bit long-winded but it's a bit complicated, and I'm sure I left out some details that will matter...

--
 Fred R. Goldstein      k1io    fred "at" interisle.net
 Interisle Consulting Group