On 12/27/2016 4:13 PM, Sam Morris wrote:
On 12/27/2016 2:34 PM, Johnathan Penberthy wrote:
I believe it is really difficult to get a 3.65 Ghz license now. Though 3.65 Ghz
is basically treated as 5 Ghz, it can share the same space as another provider,
though every link is registered with the FCC.
We do have a nationwide 3.65 license. However we are only using it
currently in one very small area in Iowa. There are other areas into
which we're looking to put up service, but I know for a fact that in
some of them there are existing WISPs that are using 3.65. I'm
researching this for my boss to let him know that there may (or may not)
be issues if we try to go into an area that already has a licensed 3.65
WISP using these frequencies there.

I should've done a better job with the background on my original post.

Since you have the license, you are entitled to put up more devices, just not as Incumbent. So what you might want to do is pull the FCC's ULS records in that area to see what registered devices the existing WISPs have in the area you're looking to go into. It is possible that the WISPs in question didn't all bother to register everything they could have -- the number of registered devices in ULS strikes me as awfully low. Iowa, for instance, shows 60 licensees, some of whom register CPEs, some who don't.

-----Original Message-----
From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On Behalf
Of Sam Morris
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 1:26 PM
To: WISPA General List <wireless@wispa.org>
Subject: [WISPA] 3.65 Precedence

I have a question to which I suspect I know the answer but wanted to defer to
you smart guys.

Let's say I'm opening up a new WISP and want to go into an area where there is
an existing WISP already there. And let's say I want to use
3.65 GHz (non-LTE if that matters) gear in that area, but that the existing
WISP already has 3.65 GHz gear up in the same area, and has it licensed
properly with the FCC.

I'm guessing that the existing WISP wins, and that I wouldn't be allowed to
come in and put my gear up, potentially interfering with his existing operation.

Is that correct or is it not as simple as this?

--
 Fred R. Goldstein      k1io    fred "at" interisle.net
 Interisle Consulting Group