I did perform the check, oakbridge.com was taken, oakbridge.ca was available
so I grabbed it. I looked at a number of potential business names and every
one of them either had an existing site with the .com extension in use or it
was owned by a cyber-squatter.

The .ca extension has become accepted for business use in Canada. We have
amazon.ca, yahoo.ca, apple.ca, etc. which are all respected by Canadians but
I was curious to see how the rest of the world looked at a domain that used
a .ca. I look at a domain that has a .uk or a .au top-level domain and I
don't bat an eye unless it is for a company that I would expect would be in
the U.S.

One response that I received off-line had the comment that "Unless you are a
truly global operation, or a US operation, a .com domain suggests to me a
sharp operator preoccupied with the unseemly grab for dot com real estate."
Well I'm not a 'truly global' operation, nor am I a U.S. operation although
I do business in the States and I do want to appeal to potential customers
in the States.

I have considered taking oakbridgesolutions.com as a second domain and
combining the two. Many Canadian companies have done this although they
typically have both the .com and .ca for the same domain name. One other
comment that I received said that it really doesn't matter what top-level
domain is used, it is the domain itself that is what people will look at.
Personally I think that there is some truth to this especially as the number
of available .com names dries up (it's pretty poor now) and the acceptance
level of the new top-level domains grows.

The question will become which is going to appeal to the target market, a
long-winded or unrecognizable domain name with a .com extension or a easily
identifyable domain name with a dot anything else?

Thanks for your comments Ben,

Steve Smith

Oakbridge Information Solutions
Office: (519) 624-4388