Since I have several T1's, with 30+ sites, ping rates have always been paramount in testing the connection. Unfortunately, ping rates will fluctuate widely according to connections, time of day, other traffic, etc. Normally, I can get pings of 10 ms or less to sites like google.com, alexa.com, netsol.com sending 56 byte packages.. Sometimes the rates will go down to 4 to 5 ms. Of cource this is T1 rates and my bandwidth for each pipe is rated at 1.5 mgs per sec, point to point. As soon as you get into ISDN and DSL, the rates change. Also, local trafiic on your network and any subnets you are on with your provider also can be a factor.

On really bad or heavy days, I have seen these rates go up to 50 ms. Of course when pinging, let's say, Brazil, rates can be 500 ms to in the thousands with many packet losses.

Hope this helps...

Since this seems to be the topic at hand:

I created an application that goes out and runs a set of externals that
returns ping rates on IP's and Port Numbers.
The hard part of this application I received help with from this list,
but, the last part of this application I have ran into a wall.

I need to know where I can be "steered" out on the web to find out ping
rates and what is considered good, okay and bad. I am trying to assign
different images to different ping rates, but, to be honest, I have no
idea what is considered good or bad AND, I don't even know where to
start on the web trying to find that information.

Any knowledge in this area or help would be greatly appreciated! Thank
you!

Steve