THANK YOU!

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Shubert [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 12:51 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list witango-talk
Subject: Re: Witango-Talk: Ping Rate-Off Topic

It's something like this, in the internet:

1-10 ms (milliseconds): Excellent (typically local 10/100 network)
11-50 ms: Typical for T1s, T3s, etc.
51-100 ms: Typical for Frame Relay, DSL, ISDN etc.
101-300 ms: Typical for 56K dial-up Modems
301+ ms: getting bad, probably some congestion
1000+ ms (1 second): horrible, mis-route or some other failure

You should always do about 10 pings and get the average, since a packet
drop, a route build, or a collision can cause the occasional packet to
be hundreds of ms more than it should be.

Robert Shubert
Tronics

"Campbell, Steve V." wrote:

> Since this seems to be the topic at hand:
>
> I created an application that goes out and runs a set of externals
that
> returns ping rates on IP's and Port Numbers.
>
> The hard part of this application I received help with from this list,
> but, the last part of this application I have ran into a wall.
>
> I need to know where I can be "steered" out on the web to find out
ping
> rates and what is considered good, okay and bad.  I am trying to
assign
> different images to different ping rates, but, to be honest, I have no
> idea what is considered good or bad AND, I don't even know where to
> start on the web trying to find that information.
>
> Any knowledge in this area or help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank