Another option is to split Tango in two at the client, leaving your
webserver and the Tango client (plugin) outside the firewall or in a DMZ,
and keeping the Tango server and DB inside.  In this case you'll need to
open a port for the Tango client connection (18100 by default, but
configurable.)

This might be a good option for you if the ODBC driver connects to SQL
server by some unusual mechanism.  I'm not familiar with SQL server's
network connections, but I know Oracle SQL*Net v2 is a nightmare to use
with firewalls, since ports are dynamic.