From: Steve Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 18:05
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Witango-Talk: database on another server

One point that I want to remind all readers about is that not all databases and/or database servers work the same way. There may be restrictions placed on them that prevent a setup in which they reside on a separate piece of hardware. The one that sticks on in my mind is MS Access which cannot be connected to Witango in any way other than having the database itself reside on the same box as the Witango server. Note that it cannot reside on a networked drive.

The idea of using multiple computers for the various servers goes back to Tango 1.0 which didn't even support ODBC but did allow Butler (the only database supported) to run on a separate machine. With the introduction of ODBC support in Tango 1.5, the product continued to have the ability to split the load into 2 boxes, one for the Webserver / Tango and another for the database. Some readers might remember that Butler had a Windows ODBC driver, and later Pervasive SQL had a Mac ODBC driver. This allowed for the very extreme possibility of having a Solaris, AIX, or SGI based webserver talk to Butler running on a Mac. There was actually a client that used Solaris webserver to Tango Windows Server to Butler database server on Mac.

The Bank of Montreal, which for years was the largest single installation of Tango used a multiple Tango server configuration with their 1.5 Solaris version although the calling of the different servers was something that was programmed into the query files with a tag that was unique to them (it later became the <@RANDOM> tag). It was just one of many <@RUDY> tags. Each of the 5 or 6 Tango Servers would hit the same database server.

It was during the days of Bolero, that we stressed the need to have a multiple box configuration for larger more advanced solutions. With the introduction of Tango 3, there was the ability to separate the Tango CGI or Tango Plug-in from the Tango Server on all platforms except the Mac. This allowed for a 3 machine configuration, one machine running the Webserver along with either the CGI or Plug-in, another machine running the Tango Server, and a third machine running the database server. Support was also added to allow for multiple Tango clients connecting to one Tango Server and vice versa to the point where we are at today.

Originally I was thrilled when the Mac version of Witango 5 joined the other platforms in separating the Witango Client and Server components. However there is a problem with allowing a Witango Client to communicate with a Witango Server running on a different platform. It would be nice if this could be addressed in future releases for those of us that do a lot of work in cross-platform environments.

Hope this helps,

Steve Smith

Oakbridge Information Solutions
Office: (519) 624-4388