I currently have 3 web sites that rank #1 for about 20 key phrases. Most all of the URLs on these sites use ?. In the past, these urls were rejected, but no more. I was in the same boat as you when trying to figure out whether to use these types of urls. Google several years ago started to accept them and the rest of the major search engines followed suite.

p.s. I have never payed for any inclusion for any of the search engines exept for the verisign surelist which costs 39.00 per year. The reason I do that is because their list of submissions includes the search engines that are not weighted by google. Google is the hardest nut to crack, but once listed well there, it trickles to the other engines. Google's weight influenses, Yahoo, MSN, Netscape, AOL, and about 6 or 7 other major engines.

Nor have I ever paid for another company to show me how to optimize, gather reciprocal links, write my code, buy key phrases or words, etc, etc etc... All this can be done by you. One of my companies was paying 800.00 per month for 15 months with no results. That's pretty hefty. Thay bought keywords and was strung along. They were told by the SE company that they were just about to make the first page. Lots of money spent -- no results. I have them at #1 right now for a set of 7 keyphrases and they are very happy. Another one of my companies paid 30,000 (yes that's thirty-thousand) dollars to an SE company. Be very careful, most of them are a rippoff.

A good test...
Go to the Search Engine Key Phrase Placement Company's web site and look at thier key phrases on their home page. Now take those key phrases and look them up on Google. If that company is not on the first 10 pages, drop em. They won't be able to help you. I know this after years of trial and error and my clients using these SE companies....

Just my .02

I was just talking to a Search Engine Key Phrase Placement Company I
contract with. He threw a term at me that I am unfamiliar with "Mod
Rewrite". He further explained that this shortened the URL (removed the ?),
maybe the session id.

This strategy is supposed to gain better search engine placement.

Any thoughts or information on how you do this?

Thanks

Steve Fogelson
Internet Commerce Solutions