If that is the case, then I would think that there should be a way to verify the presence of the userref cookie. The only way I can think of right now is to set a user var to <@userreference>, redirect to a page, without using the <@userreferenceargument> and then checking for the var.

Robert.

On Jan 21, 2004, at 12:51 AM, Robert Shubert wrote:

If I'm thinking about this correctly, If Witango receives a request WITH
an ARG but without a COOKIE, it would/could assume that cookies are not
supported by the browser or perhaps by an intervening firewall. In that
case, constantly resetting the cookie might cause an issue (constantly
creating errors) or simply create unneeded overhead.

I'm trying to think if there is a danger to setting a session cookie
FROM an argument. I believe session cookies have some security on them
to prevent hijacking as Scott said, which this would undo that. Session
cookies are also session-specific, and being about to assign an older
USR to a new session cookie again seems to undermine their purpose.
After all, if we have a new session, shouldn't we take the safe road and
re-authenticate the user?

Robert

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Garcia [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 2:04 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Witango-Talk: Cookie Bug

I am glad I found it too, and I appreciate the help, it was the fact
that others were not seeing the same issue that made me dig deeper.

I agree, that the cookie is not set in a redirect, even if you include
the <@userreferencecookie> tag. So I removed the
<@userreferenceargument> in the redirects to get around this issue.

Although I do see that the <@userreferencecookie> is working as
advertised, and so therefore this is not a bug, I did add a feature
request that the <@userreferencecookie> will in the future write the
cookie if the cookie does not exist, even if the search arg is present.

I think if the cookie is not present, and there is a search arg user
ref, then the cookie should be written with the valud of the search
arg.

Is there a reason that I am not thinking of where the cookie should not

be written if the cookie is not present? I cannot think of one.

Robert.