Giorgio,

I have 3 sites currently ranked #1 for very competative keywords and
phrases (that's #1 out of 1.3 million in the SERPs). I also have 30
other sites that rank in the first 10 pages (not as good, but not as
much work done on these). All of these sites use Witango. 2 of these
#1 sites are ecommerce sites. I get a full crawl at least once a day
from the G. These sites do not use "ID" in any of the URLs.  It has
been bantered about in Google News that using certain phrases in your
URL or having too long of agruments or length of URLs may actually
downgrade the rank of your pages. Using "?ID=lkj234lkjh324lkjh234235"
in a URL may actually be a problem, though nothing will actually ban
you from google.

Also it has been mentioned that sites that use a "?" mark may not get
fully crawled (only 20 - 30 pages) because google knows that passing
arguments can mean too many variables that the site can branch to. In
other words, A site can literally have hundreds of thousands of pages
of products just by passing arguments. It is possible that the G is
limiting the amount of pages crawled because of this.

Of course this is all speculation because the algo at the G has
always been somewhat of a mystery and the G wants to keep it that
way. What you need to do to get crawled regularly is to have lots of
quality links to your site, good and plenty of content (make it an
authority of the subject), and some old fashioned know how.

Reading posts from the WebMaster World's Google News is a good place
to start. I would even join and ask questions. These people are very
knowledgable and if you can read between the lines and throw out a
lot of the garbage that gets posted, you can learn a lot. I have been
a member there for 2 years and I never regreted it.

Just My 2 Cents

WebDude

Hi Giorgio,

I suspect you might have to dig a little deeper for the problem. In my
experience Google does index pages with _UserReference all too well -
which can actually introduce security and session management issues.

Check this out (just don't tell anyone)
http://www.google.com/search?q=allinurl:_UserReference

I would check your Webserver logs and look for a UserAgent with
"Googlebot/2.1+(+http://www.googlebot.com/bot.html)" and see exactly what
they're reading (or not). I usually see Google using an IP range starting
with 64.68.*.*

Hope this helps. Cheers...

Scott Cadillac,
403-281-6090 ~ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
------------
XML-Extranet ~ http://xmlx.ca ~ http://forums.xmlx.ca
Well-formed Programming in C# .NET, Witango, MSIE and XML
------------
Witango ~ http://witango.org
EasyXSLT ~ http://easyxslt.ca
IIS Watcher ~ http://iiswatcher.ca
------------

-----Original Message----- From: Ferrà A&T - Giorgio Tassistro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:10:53 +0100 Subject: Witango-Talk: Witango and Google problem

 For all,
 I have seen that Google don't visit the links that contains
 "_userreference=" !
 Perhaps Google "thinks" that the pages will expire; It knows that
 "userreference format" like a "section argument"
 I don't know how the other search engine works, but I think that this
 is a problem ....

Giorgio

----------------------------------------------------------------------- --------- Ferrà Art & Technology [www.ferra.biz] Giorgio Tassistro, Titolare [EMAIL PROTECTED] via Bellò 1, 17031 Albenga (SV) Italy