From: Customer Support [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 22:36
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Witango-Talk: Thread Safe Class file

The thread safe property for a TCF in the dev studio is actually no longer
relevant in the Witango 5 Server as each request runs in its own thread
rather than being passed into different resource threads.  This was only an
issue in the cooperatively threaded T2K server and how it worked.  The
architecture of the new server does not use this property and there is no
penalty in performance when using TCFs, except for the instantiation of the
object.

TCFs aside you do have to be careful with the preemptive threading in the
Witango 5 Server with shared scopes variable (custom scope, application
scope) as you can have one request change a variable that another thread may
be using.  Take for instance a while action using a custom scoped variable
in one thread like this (pseudo code):

myScope$MyVar=0
WHILE (myScope$MyVar != 100) {
        Other Actions
        Increment myScope$MyVar
        }

If another thread is started and runs the same code there is a chance that
both could increment myScope$MyVar simultaneously.  Let say that the value
of myScope$MyVar is 99 when this occurs, there is a chance that this loop
will never exit as myScope$MyVar is equal to 101 before
the end of the loop iteration.  This would create an infinite loop.
Request scope is the safest scope followed by user scope which would only
have this type of issue in a framed site.

I will let the doc writers know to update the manual and engineering so they
can decide what to do with the dev studio.

Witango Support