> I'd say the first thing to try is ask him if he can produce csv files
> with all fields quoted.  That may or may not be possible, depending on
> the program he's using and his level of expertise, but you could ask.

Hey, I asked for tab delimited and look what I got. There's already about 2
weeks worth of files there so I need to work something out.

> If that's not possible, are they standard files?  By which I mean, the
> same columns always have the same datatype:
> 123,456,"COL3",789,"Col,5",012

That is a very good point and one I hadn't thought of. It is the same fields
in each record that are quoted. I'll try your REGEX stuff but I've never had
much luck with it before. I believe this is because REGEX didn't work real
well in T2000 so I might try in WT5 instead.

Thanks

Wayne Irvine

PS> I've also posted my feeble efforts at string parsing in another post.

                  Byte Services Pty Ltd
               http://www.byteserve.com.au/
                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Ph 02 9960 6099   Mob 0409 960 609   Fax 02 9960 6088