With regards to .NET,

Server and Desktop licensing is always free on any modern Windows OS.

With .NET development, you only pay for the higher-end IDE's, if you want
one.

The Express IDE versions are free, as well as SharpDevelop, which is an
open-source IDE for .NET

http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/Default.aspx

Also with .NET, aside from just Web apps - you can build Desktop apps, Web
Services (of course), Windows Services (a.k.a. NT Services), installers, DOS
Console apps, PocketPC apps, MS Office add-ins, and Web apps for mobile
devices.

And in the past 4 years there has only been one or two security issue that I
know of.

http://www.google.com/search?q=ASP.NET+security+vulnerabilities

Does Zend help any with all the PHP issues?

http://www.google.com/search?q=PHP+security+vulnerabilities

Some points to consider.

>From  ~ Scott Cadillac,
        Software Programmer For Hire