Windows Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) - contains core Data Access
components such as the Microsoft SQL ServerT OLE DB provider and ODBC
drivers. They release new versions occsionally...

<snip>

The latest version of MDAC (2.8) consists of several interacting components,
all of which are Windows specific except for ODBC (which is available on
several platforms). MDAC architecture may be viewed as three layers: a
programming interface layer, consisting of ADO and ADO.NET, a database
access layer developed by database vendors such as Oracle and Microsoft (OLE
DB, .NET managed providers and ODBC drivers), and the database itself. These
component layers are all made available to applications through the MDAC
API. The Microsoft SQL Server Network Library, a proprietary access method
specific to Microsoft SQL Server, is also included in the MDAC. Developers
of Windows applications are encouraged to use ADO or ADO.NET for data
access, the benefit being that users of the application program are not
constrained in their choice of database architecture except that it should
be supported by MDAC. Naturally, developers still have the choice of writing
applications which directly access OLE DB and ODBC.

Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) is a native interface that is accessed
through a programming language (usually C) that can make calls into a native
library. In MDAC this interface is defined as a DLL. A separate module or
driver is needed for each database that must be accessed. The functions in
the ODBC API are implemented by these DBMS-specific drivers. The driver that
Microsoft provides in MDAC is called the SQL Server ODBC Driver (SQLODBC),
and (as the name implies) is designed for Microsoft's SQL Server. It
supports SQL Server v6.5 and upwards. [3] ODBC allows programs to use SQL
requests that will access databases without having to know the proprietary
interfaces to the databases. It handles the SQL request and converts it into
a request that the individual database system understands.