We use mysql 5, solely innodb, and it screams. And it has been more reliable, and has outperformed anything to date.

Here is a good story....

http://www.peachdirect.com is a very heavy trafficed site, and has several intense web apps. It was all running off of mssql, for years. They take millions of dollars of web orders a day. Their business went through the roof last year, and they were choking tremendously. I told them it was the mssql server. I did many tests, and it was obvious to me with the experience I had doing this before with eventpix.

They have oracle technicians, and mssql certified experts on site, that argued with my assertions, so they tweaked, bought in better hardware for the mssql server, and it still couldn't keep up. They blamed it on the app server.

They went to dual xeon processors, each 3 ghz, and 8 gigs of ram, with high speed scsi raid (10k or 15k rpm, don't remember), etc....

That still didn't catch up. So they bought in a second server, to replicate. The DB was also serving images to the sites, and so the idea was to use replication, and then, have 1 db server serve the images, and the other all else. It definitely helped but not good enough.

Still no go, and they asked me what I would do.....

Several months prior, they sent me an unused server, to setup with windows, for a project they wanted to do. But they changed their minds, and just told me to hold it until they needed. It was a dell poweredge server, with dual xeon processors, 8 gigs of ram, and HW raid controller card, and high speed cheetah disks. It's processors were slower than the windows mssql servers, but it was close.

I told them I would put mysql on linux on the old server, tune it up myself, and then migrate them all over to mysql. They were scared to death, but I have saved them out of situations like this before. Also, I put my money where my mouth was, and told them I would not charge them, if it didn't work, and we could switch back in a day to mssql. This was a tough thing to say, since there was a huge cost, and a lot of work to do the migration. We had to do the whole thing, in a couple of days, with no sleep.

We did it, and lets just say, their are no more complaints. The mysql box, doesn't even break a sweat. The idea was to follow up with a second mysql box, and do replication, but the speed was so dramatic, they said they would do it later.

The only issue came when, we didn't have a second linux box, so we put the dev mysql server on windows. It is MUCH slower, and they regularly complain about that. Soon they will be installing linux on another box for the dev server.

One thing to note, MySQL, doesn't sing unless you tune it. Especially with innodb. But once tuned, it sings. But most dbs are like that. And I learned from the tons of data on google about mysql.

Anyway, thats a true story. When I changed over to mysql, for eventpix, and all the clients I host, I was incredibly surprised, and it was love at first site. :-) And I always told people it was faster than MS using linux. But I got the chance on this occasion to pay the check my mouth was writing.

--

Robert Garcia
President - BigHead Technology