From: Alan Wolfe [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 10:56
To: witango-talk@witango.com
Subject: Re: Witango-Talk: OT: Witango hosting + DB

One thing about open sourced software is commonly they have various
levels of code releases.

Yyou have CVS snapshots / nightly builds etc
These are bleeding edge and might not even work or compile, just the
current version of the code.  Should not be used in production.

You have release candidates
This is code that is under review for being released.  Should not be
used in production

You have new releases
These are new code versions put out which the devs have decided are
stable.  As with any new software, there could be undiscovered bugs as
well as vulnerabilities. If you want to be safe and secure, these
should not be used in production IMO.

You have versions which have been out for a couple months
These are the ones that you want to be using in a production
environment.  They are tried and true and the headaches of using
freshly baked software have been endured by other people so that you
dont have to.

If mysql isn't releasing their code straight to the community center
right away I don't think it's due to the fact that they don't value
their community or want to keep anything away from them, I think it's
that they want to make sure the community has the most stable software
they can give them while still putting out new features.  Make sense?

Also if i recall the mysql licensing, you only have to pay the makers
of mysql if you ship a software product which CONTAINS mysql.

Working with web applications, your client never gets your binaries
and they never get the binaries of mysql so you can use it free of
charge.

You might want to verify that with the community just to make sure but
I was researching this about a year ago and this is what I found out
and was pretty pleasantly surprised.

> Alan, Robert, and anybody else that might still respond, thank you very
much
> for your input.
>
> I am looking to replace a MS SBS 2003 + Witango which worked great so far
> with something else that is reasonably reliable, fast, easy to use and
> supported.
> This current system worked great, in more then four years it did not break
> once (it it  true, the load is not very heavy), but I cannot legally use
it
> anymore. MS does not allow more than 75 users on SBS, no matter how much
the
> customer is willing to pay. How ridiculous is that?!
> So I am looking to alternatives that will make the licensing issue
> disappear.
> PostgreSQL seems to be basically "no strings attached", which makes it a
> first preference.
> MySQL has a dual licensing policy, and I am afraid to not get into
something
> that later on will prove to be another nightmare. Another issue is that
the
> code changes are not immediately made available to the "Community Server"
> (or, at least, CS is not the main focus of the company).
>
> Thanks again.
> Mike Bravu
> ________________________________

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>

> Does anybody have any experience in using PostgreSQL + Witango ?
> How does it compare with using MySQL?
> Would you recommend PostgreSQL ?
> [Sorry, I know this is OT but I checked the Witango-Talk archive and could
> not find any message related to "PostgreSQL".]
>
> Thank you,
> Mike Bravu

would