From: Scott Cadillac [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2008 8:20 AM
To: Witango-Talk
Subject: Witango-Talk: [OT] VPN Enabled Routers

Hi Folks,

If anybody is so inclined, I'm looking for recommendations for a VPN enabled
router that handles out-bound tunneling (not pass-thru).

I don't profess to be a network person, so I'll explain the best I can, so
warning - I'm sure this post will be wordy :-b....

I have a particular customer whom I've been doing periodic contract work for
over 6 years. With them I have to use VPN client software to connect to
their network when I deploy something or need to work on their servers.

With their particular type of VPN connection, once I do the VPN logon my
workstation becomes a part of their network, which inherits a new IP from
their internal LAN. Once I'm connected my workstation is unable to connect
to my own local network. Which is highly inconvenient of course, but I can
deal with that for the most part by running the VPN inside a virtual
machine.

If I did all my development work on one machine I wouldn't have a problem.
But my setup these days includes the following:

~ A heavy-duty desktop running WinXP for the Visual Studio IDE.

~ 6 Virtual Machines for browser testing (running on the desktop, which are
separate machines as far as VPN is concerned).

~ A Mac Mini for more browser testing.

~ Another workstation with Visual Studio for my coding buddy Mark, who also
works in my office, he's not a witango guy ;-)

~ And a dedicated Windows 2003 Server for hosting all our code and SQL 2000
& 2005 databases.

~ Oh, and a 1TB Network Attached Storage device that I use for backups.

I also have 3 other computers on my local network, but those aren't used for
work.

Anyway, since starting a recent job with this particular customer things are
getting more involved where we need a dedicated VPN connection from both our
workstations and now from the server (which is going to run an automated
database sync routine we're going to build).

So, is there a router that can handle all VPN (client?) connections to my
customer's external network? Including the following features?

~ Automatic transparent VPN connections from any of my local machines.

~ Still allow connections to my other network resources?

~ Still allow inbound access to my webserver and Remote Desktop (port
forwarding from the outside).

~ And still allow out-bound connections to other non-customer external
addresses (the internet).

Note, my internet service includes 5 static IP addresses, if that makes a
difference.

So, any ideas?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Scott,